To transfer the FSMO roles from the Ntdsutil command:
Caution: Using the Ntdsutil utility incorrectly may result in partial or complete loss of Active Directory functionality.
1. On any domain controller, click Start, click Run, type Ntdsutil in the Open box, and then click OK.
1. Type roles, and then press ENTER.
Note: To see a list of available commands at any of the prompts in the Ntdsutil tool, type ?, and then press ENTER.
1. Type connections, and then press ENTER.
fsmo maintenance: connections
1. Type connect to server <servername>, where <servername> is the name of the server you want to use, and then press ENTER.
server connections: connect to server server100
Binding to server100 …
Connected to server100 using credentials of locally logged on user.
1. At the server connections: prompt, type q, and then press ENTER again.
server connections: q
1. Type transfer <role>. where <role> is the role you want to transfer.
For example, to transfer the RID Master role, you would type transfer rid master:
Transfer domain naming master
Transfer infrastructure master
Transfer RID master
Transfer schema master
1. You will receive a warning window asking if you want to perform the transfer. Click on Yes.
2. After you transfer the roles, type q and press ENTER until you quit Ntdsutil.exe.
3. Restart the server and make sure you update your backup.